Setting up your blog – How to begin building your class Edublog.
Customise the look of your blog
In the Appearance click Customise.
- Enter a title for your site and a tagline.
- Select colour for text and background.
- Save and publish.
The header and the Front page will be done later.
You can set an image or a plain colour background. A colour is advised to begin with. An image needs to be ’tiled’. This is a photoshop exercise in its own right.
This can be set in Customise or go to Appearance > Background
Select a colour.
Set up Pages and Populate
From the menu select Pages > Add New.
Enter Welcome in the title field.
Enter some text in the editor so that you can recognise this page. e.g. This is the Welcome Page.
Turn off Comments
To do this for individual pages only:
Go to Pages > All Pages. Mouse over page title.
Click Quick Edit.
Untick Allow Comments box.
Continue to make further pages via Pages > New page.
Add content to each page when you are ready.
Required Pages / Information
- Welcome / Introduction / Contact
- Term Letter
- Images for 2015.
Ready Made Blog Headers
Suggested serach terms for finding headers
- Blog headers for kids
- Web banners for kids
- Search specific topics & add web banner or blog header/banner
Create a Blog Header
- File > New > Blank file. Set the dimensions in pixels.
- Use images, tools & layers to create a header.
- Add text required on the header in Photoshop.
- Save as a psd file to a folder for future editing.
- To save a web copy for the Edublog: File > Save to Web. Select Preset JPEG high. Save to your Edublogs Resources folder.
- Edublogs Menu: Select Appearance > Header > Choose file. Select file on computer and upload.
Good source here of copyright free images.
Like the header, all images uploaded to the blog need to be prepared in terms of file size. Use Photoshop for this. See how.
Create or copy the image in Photoshop.
When complete: File > Save to Web. Select Preset JPEG high. Save to your Edublogs Resources folder.
If you have created or enhanced the image yourself, also save it as a psd file to your Edublogs Resources folder for future editing.
In Edublogs, select Library > Add New. Drag the image from your computer to the Drop files here box or Select files and upload. Dragging will allow multiple uploads.
Add image to a blog page
- In the page editor click the Add Media button.
- Select Media Library as the source of the image.
- Select the image. From the right sidebar select the alignment of the image.
- Click the image to find the Edit button or to delete.
- Always delete an image from the Library when no longer needed. Deleting from the page does not delete it from the Library. Delete it from Media > Library
When adding a link of any sort, always copy/paste the URL from the actual website.
Links within a page (from text or an image) – adding and removing
Add an internal link to a blog page.
Links in a sidebar are added via a Links Widget.
Add links to a sidebar.