WALT – We Are Learning To…
investigate how shape, size and colour are important when designing.
WILF – What I’m Looking For…
to design and make a jigsaw ranging from 6-24 pieces.
What makes a good jigsaw picture?
A good jigsaw picture needs detail and variety across the whole page. Too much of the one colour is hard to match.
Are these good jigsaw pictures?
Design a picture that will be a great jigsaw picture. It should:
- cover a lot of the page
- have many colours
- have lots of shapes or features
Draw your picture on the back of the paper. On the other side is the jigsaw template.
Before your next lesson your picture will be laminated.
Cut out your jigsaw pieces and have fun with your jigsaw.
How did you go?
Jigsaws Online to try
Our Little Dazzlers: KIC Jigsaws [Internal link only]
For the Teacher
From the Australian Curriculum Design and Technologies
Technology Context – Materials and technologies specialisations
Knowledge and Understanding
- Identify how people design and produce familiar products.
- Realise that all things are built out of smaller things. Break down your drawing into smaller parts. [Decomposition]
- Make design decisions based on personal and family needs.
- Decide on the design of the jigsaw template. How many pieces are suitable for me?
Processes and Production Skills
- Explore needs or opportunities for designing, and the technologies needed to realise designed solutions.
- Discover that laminating the jigsaw makes it more durable.
- Identify, gather and play with materials, components, tools and equipment to generate personal design ideas.
- Create a jigsaw puzzle to entertain myself, friends and family.